Thursday, November 1, 2007

A sip of tea and all that it can encapsulate





Isn’t it amazing how a smell or taste can transport you? I was reading at my desk in my office today listening to Feist and Catpower. I had a cup of tea steeping beside me. I reached over to my big blue mug, the one that I have been a devoted slave to for the past mmm 3 years - Wow that is remarkable. I have used the same mug, basically daily, for almost 3 years.

Anyways, I reached over- cradling it like an extension of my own being, brought it to my mouth, allowed it to warm my hands and fill my my nose with its familiar floral scent.

When the Earl Grey hit my lips I was back at the Delta house, wrapped in a toga blank as I used to do as a result of the sub zero temperatures. I was wearing my slippers- of course, as well as my over sized sweatpants that were a gift from my Acadia Alumni friend Jenny. I was perched on one of the crappy and uncomfortable black chairs `borrowed` from SFU residence and I could see various brown tiles peeling off the floor.

The table before me was covered in whatever art project I had been toiling at for the past month that I couldn’t seem to motivate myself to finish. A notebook of Pia's sat attentively across from me with her unique and very recognisable writing style. Several old newspapers were strewn about open to pertinent articles about technology, language or Stephen Harpers latest abomination; also abandoned in the chaos is a random To Do List of Tracey’s which would always crack me up as they included items like “Eat Lunch” and “ass cream” the latter I would have snuck onto the list laughing at my own comic genius.

Tracey's computer proudly dominated some of the kitchen table real estate, along with random pantyhose, a crossword completed by multiple members, a dillion pens, burnt cds and other miscellaneous objects.

I think about who I was then. How I have changed. How we have all changed. I think about that life and the goodness it possessed, the richness of it all. The excitement, the parties, the mess, the ranty conversations, the boys, the neighbours, the deck, the ideas, the hangovers, the books, the fashion, the music, mostly just the experience of it all. It was a whirlwind and it played out in our kitchen.

I think of my life in the same way as the geological time periods. Each era has major players, defining characteristics and strengths and weaknesses. I find comfort in my own continuity, I reflect at my good fortune. I have always loved geology, something about how time and pressure can bend and fold that which appears to be unbendable and unfoldable. I embrace and acknowledge the times that were and look forward to the times that will be. It is dangerous to be caught in the past, and I try to ensure that I keep my eyes fixed forward but my brief trip back to the Delta house yeilded a pleasant moment of warm refelction; a celebration of open minds and adventurous spirits.



No comments:

PK's BDay Fun!

PK's BDay Fun!
BFF aeaeaeaeae

Lightbright part deux

Lightbright part deux
XMas Styles

Lightbright!

Lightbright!
Yes I am 24 and I enjoy playing with a lightbright.

Golden Halloween

Golden Halloween
Trophy tops

3D Glasses are cool